Purpose & Benefit: In a field that is constantly driving towards more efficiency and productivity, clients and businesses are both seeking easier and quicker methods of payment processing. The last thing you want is to waste time chasing down invoices or spending hours on the phone trying to fix a duplicate payment. This is where legal billing software such as TimeSolv helps drive your business towards success through technological advances. This all comprehensive software has everything your law firm needs to keep track of cases, clients, payments, and overall business.
In the Payments tab, one can define payments, external trust entries and bank accounts.
Note 1: External trust entries should only be done if you are handling a trust account OUTSIDE of TimeSolv.
Note 2: Payments can be made by two methods, either through application or online.
Note 3: Online payments cannot be voided but payments through application can be voided
To create a payment and credit:
- Select Payments under the Payments.
- Specify a date in the Date field.
- Select a client – matter in the Client – Matter field.
- Specify a Credit Type e.g., Credit Memo/Payment/Write Off such that the Payment Method drop down gets populated accordingly with the credit type – specific options.
- Specify Payment Method. External Trust Transfer payment method can only be selected when it is turned on under the Payments>Settings screen.
- Enter a number in the Reference # field if necessary, such as an Invoice # or a Check #.
- Enter an amount in the Amount field. Please do not use the dollar sign or any other special characters in this field.
- Enter some notes in the Notes edit box. These can be edited as needed after the transaction is saved by clicking on the ‘edit’ link next to the listed transaction.
- Click the Save button
- User can search for payments by using the search fields and different filters. Click on More Options to expand your search facility.
- Specify Client-Matter for search.
- Specify Status of payment for search.
- Specify when the payment was last viewed.
- Specify Payment Method for search.
- Specify Credit Type.
- Select Show All For Client checkbox if needed.
- Hit Search.
- If you wish to issue a refund, click on the Refunds button at the top right.
- Click on the Refund link next to the relevant payment.
- Specify Date for refund to be issued.
- Specify Amount to be refunded. This field is automatically populated to the total payment amount. You can edit this amount to give a partial refund if necessary.
- Provide a reference for the processed payment.
- Provide any Notes if necessary.
- Hit Save.
- Click on Refunds tab.
- You can view the refund entry details.