Purpose & Benefit: TimeSolv allows you to split an invoice in any conceivable way to send to your clients. You can split for as many clients as you need and customize the percentages. Send to multiple clients with confidence each party will be paying exactly what they should for your work. This feature is especially useful for anyone who does mediation, as attorneys need an easy way to enter time and split it between the multiple parties.
This article will show you how to setup split billing for clients. Split billing provides the option to a firm to split a bill between multiple clients-matters.
- Click on Clients & Matters under the Clients tab.
- Select the relevant Client that you wish to be the ‘Master Matter’ for this split billing project – the ‘Master Matter’ is the one you will enter time and expense entries against before everything is split during the invoicing stage amongst ‘Master’ and ‘Secondary’ Matters.Note: First of all, please ensure that the ‘Master Matter’ (i.e. the parent Matter) that you are creating the split billing project for is NOT consolidated, as consolidated Master Matters cannot be used in split billing. To check these settings, click here for more information. The ‘Master Matter’ must also not be a part of any other Split Billing configuration (i.e. it cannot be attached to another Split Billing project as a Secondary Matter).
- Click on the Split Billing tab.
- Specify how you would like to split the time by:
Split Hours & Amount – hours worked and amount to be billed will be split between all clients-matters under this split billing project, according to the percentages assigned to each client-matter (as shown below).
Split Hours & Calculate Amount – the amount of hours worked will be split first, then the total amount to be billed will be calculated according to the percentages assigned to each client-matter (as shown below). This is useful for those split billing projects that have various timekeepers with different default rates working on it.
Please note: If you do not specify a choice in this field, the split billing project will default to Split Hours & Amount.
- Click Save.
- Click on the Add Split Billing Project to add the Secondary Matter that needs to be included in this specific split billing project.
- Add the matter to the split billing project, which is auto-populated to the Matter/Project you’ve opened up this split billing project from in the Matter/Project field (which is also referred to as the ‘Master Matter’ in this split billing project. The ‘Master Matter’ is the matter you will be creating all the time & expense entries for that need split billing).
- If you would like to specify a Time % value to be charged to this client-matter, please specify the value in this field. Otherwise, keep the Remainder checkbox enabled so that this client-matter gets charged the remaining value left from other matters/projects added to this split billing project.
- If you would like to specify an Expense % value to be charged to this client-matter, please specify the value in this field. Otherwise, keep the Remainder checkbox enabled so that this client-matter gets charged the remaining value left from other matters/projects added to this split billing project.
Please note: at least ONE Matter/Project added to the split billing project MUST have the value ‘Remainder’ assigned to them, so that any left over fraction values are not left unassigned when splitting invoices/bills between multiple clients-matters.
- Please note: the Remainder checkbox is enabled by default. You must have at least ONE Matter/Project added to the split billing project with the value ‘Remainder’ assigned to them, so that any left over fraction values are not left unassigned when splitting invoices/bills between multiple clients-matters. If you do not specify any Matter/Project as a ‘Remainder’ in a Split Billing Project, you will get a red warning message telling you that Split Details are incomplete (example below):
- Click Save when you are done.
- Click on Add Split Billing Project as many times as you need to continue adding more client-matters to this split billing project. Here is an example below of a split billing project created for a divorce case:
- To edit any of the Time % or Expense % field values, please click on the Edit link.
- Click Delete to remove a client-matter from this split billing project. Please note: you will not be warned before a deletion. Clicking on the delete link will immediately remove the client-matter.
Now any time & expense entries made for this ‘Master Matter’ (i.e. primary Matter, or parent Matter) will automatically have those entries assigned to any secondary Matters listed under the split billing project too. These will be split when you generate an invoice against the Master Matter. Click here to see how to generate and edit invoices for split billing projects.