Purpose & Benefit: Draft invoices are an essential asset to the reviewing process involved with billing. When you need to change any invoice details, all you need to do is work on the draft to make easy and quick edits while working towards perfection. This process saves you time in having to resolve disputes with clients when there are errors or mistakes on any bills sent out. At TimeSolv, we offer complete flexibility with editing draft invoices so that you do not have to ever go back and create a new one from scratch.
If you are editing a Split Billing Project draft invoice, please see this article.
To Edit the Draft Invoice:
- Click the Amount value of the desired invoice to edit the invoice under Invoices>Drafts tab.
- Under the General tab, specify the Invoice Date. This is the date you wish to generate the invoice on.
- Specify the date range for Invoice Period.
Note: if you want to include time entries outside of this date range, please change these dates to include those.
- Specify the Re: label name for this invoice. For example, the matter/project name.
Note: if it’s not a consolidated invoice, you will not be able to change this.
- Specify Billing Template. Click on Edit link if you wish to change a listed template type.
Please click here to see how you can edit flexible billing templates.
- If the user check marks ‘Review Completed‘ box, it will show a tick symbol under the Status column of the main Draft’ Invoices screen showing that the draft invoice has been reviewed and is ready to be sent out. If firm settings under Invoice>Settings have ‘Review required to send Invoices?‘ check marked, users will not be able to send out invoices unless the ‘Review Completed‘ checkbox shown below is checked.
- Select the required check boxes for Invoice Delivery Methods.
- Click Save.
- Under the Addresses tab, you can view and edit the From and To Address details, including email addresses.
- After editing the relevant contact fields, you can click on Update From Client (it will pull in the client information), or Save To Client (it will save these details to the client contact). Click Save when you are done.
- Click Save.
Click on the Narratives tab to add/edit or delete invoice narratives.
Cover Page Narrative – appears towards the top of the cover page, below matter and client name.
Invoice Narrative – appears towards the top of the invoice page, below matter name.
Invoice Footer Text – appears right at the center bottom of the page.
Invoice Email Message – appears in the email when the invoice email is sent.
Statement Email Message – appears in the email when the statement email is sent.
Payment Instructions – appears at the bottom of the remittance page.
- Click the Time tab to view, Add New time entry to invoice, or Edit the time entries of the invoice. You can also click the Include Missing button to include any missing time entries. This button will only be enabled if any time entries exist for the client-project that have not been added to the invoice. For example you have generated an invoice for some client – project. Later on some new time entries got added that fall in the Date Range of the Invoice. You can include them by clicking the Include Missing button.
- If you click Update – it will update only the draft invoice, not the original time entry, unless you select the Update Original Time Entry checkbox.
- If you click Hold, it will hold the time entry until the next invoice.
- If you click Delete, it will delete the time entry from the invoice only, unless you select the Update Original Time Entry As Well checkbox, which will wipe the time entry off the system entirely.
- Click the Expense tab to view, Add New expense entry to invoice, or Edit the expense entries of the invoice. You can also click the Include Missing button to include any missing expense entries. This button will only be enabled if any expense entries exist for the client-project that have not been added to the invoice. For example you have generated an invoice for some client – project. Later on some new time entries got added that fall in the Date Range of the Invoice. You can include them by clicking the Include Missing button.
- Click Edit if you wish to edit an expense.
- Click the Interest tab to view interest amount. Enable the Override calculated interest check box to edit the interest.
Note: The Interest tab is only available when interest gets applied on the invoice. The Interest is applicable after the grace period and payment terms have expired and only for those client-projects (used in the draft invoice) that have an unpaid sent invoice.
Note: whatever you put in the Adjustment Label field will appear in the invoice. E.g. “discount for client”
- Click Save.