Purpose & Benefit: Your client database is an invaluable tool for any business. These details help you follow up on new leads, easily generate repeat business with multiple Matters/Projects under the same client, and find information about your current and previous clients quickly and easily.
To create a new client:
- Click on Clients & Matters under Clients tab.
- Click the New Client button.
- Enter the client name in the Client Name field.
- Enter Client ID.
- Click Save.
NOTE: If you are connected to NetDocuments and receive an internal server error message when trying to save a new client, please reconfigure your NetDocuments settings before proceeding.
- The new client’s detail form will now have launched. Here you can edit a the client Name.
- You can edit the Invoice Name.
- You can edit the Client ID.
NOTE: You cannot change Client ID if there are configuration issues with NetDocuments. Please reconfigure NetDocuments settings before proceeding if you encounter an error message.
- You can edit the Next Matter ID.
- You may choose the Status of the client as either:
- Select the Type of client from:
- Define Currency.
- Select Rate By option from:
Timekeeper Default – this is the preselected default rate applied in the timekeeper’s individual settings for their typical rate. When no alternative is specified, this default rate will always be applied.
Task then Timekeeper Default – selecting this option means Timekeeper Default will be the standard rate applied, unless the task code chosen for the entry has its own specified rate (see here). The task code rate will then override any Timekeeper Default rate.
Global Rate – global rates are the customized rates saved under Global Rates section (see here). Assigning a global rate to a client means that you have the benefit, for example, of giving the client a discounted rate of x% for all their time and expense entries. Or, for example, an ongoing case spanning over numerous years, can have a ‘2015 rate’ applied to it.
Task then Global Rate – selecting this option means Global Rate will be the standard rate applied, unless the task code chosen for the entry has its own specified rate (see here). The task code rate will then override any Timekeeper Default rate.
Matter Rate – matter rates are applied at the matter level. So if an individual matter needs a specific rate applied to it, then under Clients>Clients & Matters>[matter name] you would select Matter Rateunder the ‘Rate By‘ field. You will then need to Save this selection in order to activate the grey Edit Rates button below the Rate By field, and thereby specify the matter rate.
Task then Matter Rate – selecting this option means Matter Rate will be the standard rate applied, unless the task code chosen for the entry has its own specified rate (see here). The task code rate will then override any Timekeeper Default rate.
- Specify Default Name for Trust.
- Select Default Trust Bank Account from drop down list of options.
- If you have any bank accounts configured to receive payments into, you can select one from the list for Receiving All Portal Payments In
- You may specify a Billing Increment for this client. If there is a firm level billing increment specified, you will have to select Override Firm Setting checkbox before being allowed to edit this field.
Note: Billing increments are in hours. So, as an example of formatting, the billing increment in hours would be 15 minutes (quarter of an hour) entered as 0.25 (quarter of 1) in this field.
If you enter 0 as a billing increment, time will still be calculated microscopically (at a billing increment of 0.007).
Administrators need to be cautious when changing a billing increment for the whole firm. When a Timekeeper’s timer is running or is restarting, it will mess up their time log if the increment is changed in the middle of running time.
- Specify an Opening Date for this client.
- You may also specify an Inactive Date for this client.
- Please specify whether this client is Not Taxable, Taxable, or Taxable by Task.
- If you have an Invoice Account Groups set up, please specify one for this client from your dropdown list of options.
- If you have Categories set up, you may specify to assign this client to one from your dropdown list of options.
- Click Save.