Purpose & Benefit: On the Task/Activity Codes sub tab (TimeSolv Legal users will see Task, TimeSolv Pro users will see Activity), you can identify the tasks or activities you and your staff are completing for clients, including the task/activity name and task/activity code. If the task/activity has a particular rate you would like applied, you can enter that amount. For TimeSolv Legal users, the ABA Task Codes are pre-built into the application. You can create custom codes under Time>Settings. You can also create a specific rate by task too, either on a hour rate basis or by just the task itself. TimeSolv’s Time Entry reports allow you to run a report based on Task Code, so you could easily see how much time has been spent on particular tasks for a given period of time or by a specific professional. You can slice and dice the data as you see fit to give you greater insight into your firm.
Task/Activity rates can be by hour or by task. For example, you may charge by the hour for fact gathering, or you may simply charge a flat fee each time you prepare a budget for your client.
Note: If a task code rate is not included, the appropriate rate for the employee completing the task is applied. This may not be the default rate, but the appropriate rate depending on what is entered in the project’s General tab.
To access the Task/Activity setup:
- As a firm admin, select the Settings link under Time tab.
- Select the Task/Activity Codes tab.
- To edit an existing code, click on the code number (example below).
- To create a new code, click on the New Task/Activity Code link.
- Enter the task/activity code in the Code field
- Enter the description in the Description field.
Note: Whatever you put in the Description field is what will be seen when a professional is entering time. An important note is that, for example, you may have a code AA101, and you try to type it in the codes field under time entry page, nothing will come up in the auto-population unless the code number is included in this description field.
- Enter a Narrative. If provided, this shall be used as a description of the time entry when this activity code is selected. Otherwise, the Description field value (above) shall be used.
Note: The narrative is the default message that pre-fills into the time entry description. This is a useful field if you want more than just the description of the activity code to show up.
- Enter actual dollar amount that applies as the billable rate for the activity in the Rate field. This field is option.
- Select a unit of measure to indicate if an activity cost is hourly or task based from the Rate Type drop down (i.e. Hour or Activity)
Note: If you enter a rate, you will be forced to select a rate type – either hourly, or activity/task. If you wish to change this rate, you will have to change the Rate Type field back to the ‘(Select rate type)‘ option, exactly as show below.
- Enable Taxable? check box if the activity/task is taxable.
Note: This field may also be used for admin fees. If you have a set rate for admin fees, you can enter it here.
- Enable Active? check box to make the activity code available for the firm usage.
- Click the Save button to save the activity code or Save & New to save the activity code and create another activity code. Click the Cancel button to close the New Task/Activity Code window without saving any task/activity code.